- 1 What is the best time of year to visit the Outer Banks?
- 2 Which is better Myrtle Beach or Outer Banks?
- 3 How many days do you need in Outer Banks?
- 4 What is the nicest beach in the Outer Banks?
- 5 What is hurricane season in Outer Banks?
- 6 How warm is the water in Outer Banks?
- 7 Is the Outer Banks expensive?
- 8 Is Myrtle Beach or Virginia Beach nicer?
- 9 Does Outer Banks have a boardwalk?
- 10 Is Duck NC expensive?
- 11 How long does it take to drive the Outer Banks Scenic Byway?
- 12 Where do you fly into for Outer Banks?
- 13 What beach in NC has the clearest water?
- 14 Is the water clear in Outer Banks?
- 15 What is the best area to stay in the Outer Banks?
What is the best time of year to visit the Outer Banks?
The best time to visit the Outer Banks is between March and May or September and November, when lodging rates drop and crowds dissipate. Most mainland North Carolina residents and out-of-towners arrive during the summer months, when humidity is high and average temperatures consistently hit the upper 80s.
Which is better Myrtle Beach or Outer Banks?
Because Myrtle Beach is much more an urban setting than the Outer Banks, it is better able to support live theater. The Outer Banks does have, of course, The Lost Colony, the longest-running outdoor drama in the United States. There are some things that Myrtle Beach has that the Outer Banks does not.
How many days do you need in Outer Banks?
Outer Banks in 3 DaysThree days is barely enough time to get to know any major destination. But AAA travel editors suggest these activities to make the most of your time in the Outer Banks. Day 1: MorningTo fully appreciate North Carolina’s Outer Banks, a car is a necessity.
What is the nicest beach in the Outer Banks?
The Best Outer Banks Beaches
- Kitty Hawk. Kitty Hawk is well known for many things, including its magnificent beach.
- Kill Devil Hills. Kill Devil Hills is known for some of the best waves and water sports in the area.
- Nags Head.
- Southern Shores.
What is hurricane season in Outer Banks?
The hurricane season for the Outer Banks runs from June 1st through November 30th. These dates are just generalities though, there have been hurricanes that have formed in the Atlantic Ocean during the months of May and December.
How warm is the water in Outer Banks?
The average water temperature in the Outer Banks is 63 degrees Fahrenheit. Why is Outer Banks water cold? Outer Banks water is cold because southwest winds push warm water up to the surface of the Atlantic Ocean and away from the shore. This flow of wind enables cold water that is below the warm water to move in.
Is the Outer Banks expensive?
Compared to other popular beach destinations on the east coast, the Outer Banks is an incredibly affordable place to live. For example, our area’s cost of living is lower than towns such as Charleston, SC, Santa Barbara, CA, and the Florida Keys.
Is Myrtle Beach or Virginia Beach nicer?
Myrtle Beach has a slightly better beach, Virginia Beach has slightly more to do. The price is about the same depending on where you stay and what you do in both places, but the weather is slightly warmer on average in Myrtle Beach. Virginia Beach tends to be more crowded, but only slightly.
Does Outer Banks have a boardwalk?
Outer Banks Boardwalks. Two Outer Banks boardwalks that are the most popular are along the waterfronts in Duck and Manteo. Both boardwalks take you past restaurants and shops and connect you to parks. And both provide front row seats to the spectacular Outer Banks sunsets that dazzle most evenings.
Is Duck NC expensive?
Duck is 27.8% more expensive than Nags Head. Duck housing costs are 68.4% more expensive than Nags Head housing costs. Health related expenses are 0.0% less in Duck.
How long does it take to drive the Outer Banks Scenic Byway?
The driving time is 6.5 hours – including 3.5 hours on two ferries. The byway begins in the Outer Banks region and ends in the Crystal Coast region. The Outer Banks National Scenic Byway passes through one of the nation’s great coastal landscapes, tidal marshes, wind-swept dunes, and alluring sounds border the roadway.
Where do you fly into for Outer Banks?
As for flights, the Outer Banks is easily accessible from Norfolk International Airport (82 miles north), Raleigh Durham International Airport (192 miles west), or Coastal Carolina Airport (138 miles southwest). Expect a scenic drive in and one filled with anticipation.
What beach in NC has the clearest water?
Set amongst North Carolina’s exquisite Crystal Coast, Emerald Isle contains some of the state’s clearest waters and whitest sand making for some seriously stunning sunsets.
Is the water clear in Outer Banks?
For the majority of late spring, summer, and early fall, the Atlantic Ocean portions off the Outer Banks are very tame and very clear. Going a few days without any major storms and swells also leads to a clearer ocean water.
What is the best area to stay in the Outer Banks?
Best Places to Stay in the Outer Banks
- COROLLA. Located in Currituck County, this area is the northernmost section of the Outer Banks.
- SOUTHERN SHORES. Largely a residential neighborhood, this town sits right between Kitty Hawk and Duck, providing easy access to both.
- South Nags Head.