- 1 Is it safe to vacation in Uruguay?
- 2 Is Uruguay expensive to visit?
- 3 What is the best month to visit Uruguay?
- 4 What should I see in Uruguay?
- 5 Do they speak English in Uruguay?
- 6 What is considered rude in Uruguay?
- 7 Are US dollars accepted in Uruguay?
- 8 What is the average cost of a house in Uruguay?
- 9 What are the rainiest months in Montevideo Uruguay?
- 10 What do I need to know before going to Uruguay?
- 11 What food is Uruguay known for?
- 12 What is the most famous food in Uruguay?
- 13 What’s the currency in Uruguay?
Is it safe to vacation in Uruguay?
Uruguay is perfectly safe to travel alone. Most of the minor crime happens within the inner city of Montevideo, where a third of the country’s population lives. When planning your Uruguay itinerary, one popular tourist attraction in Montevideo is the Ciudad Vieja (Old City).
Is Uruguay expensive to visit?
There is no way around it – Uruguay is not a cheap country for travellers. In fact, it’s probably the most expensive place in South America, especially should you choose to take a trip here during the peaks months of January and February.
What is the best month to visit Uruguay?
The best time to visit Uruguay is during its summer months, which are between November and February. Temperatures are pleasant, sitting around 72°F and 84°F. This is an especially good time to visit the coastal areas, as many of the beach resorts close as soon as summer slips into autumn.
What should I see in Uruguay?
10 Top Tourist Attractions & Things to Do in Uruguay
- Explore Montevideo.
- Mix with the Jet Set in Punta del Este.
- Sunbathe and Swim at the Many Beaches.
- Discover the Past in Colonia del Sacramento.
- Relax in Hot Springs.
- Try a South American BBQ.
- Hike in Punta del Diablo.
- Spot Sea Lions in Cabo Polonio.
Do they speak English in Uruguay?
English is not widely spoken in Uruguay overall. Uruguay is nestled between Brazil and Argentina in the south east of South America. The center of the capital Montevideo is probably the best place to find English speakers, especially in the larger hotels and restaurants.
What is considered rude in Uruguay?
People touch shoulders and hold arms while they talk to each other. Never sit on or put your feet up on a ledge, desk or table. The “ch-ch” sound is used to get someone’s attention or to get a bus to stop. The North American “O.K.” sign is extremely rude.
Are US dollars accepted in Uruguay?
Prices are in Uruguayan pesos (UR$), the official Uruguayan currency. There are coins of one, two, five, 10 and 50 pesos. US dollars are commonly accepted in major tourist hubs, where many accommodations quote US$ prices.
What is the average cost of a house in Uruguay?
Uruguay’s National Institute of Statistics reported in 2018 that the average price of newly built houses in Montevideo rose 9.1 percent from the previous year, to $1,334 a square meter ($124 a square foot), although when inflation and the declining Uruguayan peso were factored in, the increase was only 0.7 percent.
What are the rainiest months in Montevideo Uruguay?
* Data from weather station: Montevideo, Uruguay. Most rainfall (rainy season) is seen in March and October. On average, October is the wettest month with 107.0 mm (4.21 inch) of precipitation. On average, December is the driest month with 78.0 mm (3.07 inch) of precipitation.
What do I need to know before going to Uruguay?
10 Things to Know Before Visiting Uruguay
- Currency. The currency in Uruguay is the Uruguayan peso.
- Weather and Seasons. If you’re going to a coastal city or town off season, brace yourself for complete solitude.
- Late-Night Culture.
- Free Activities.
- Public Transport.
- Street Markets.
- When in Doubt, Ask a Local.
What food is Uruguay known for?
A Food-Lover’s Guide to Uruguay
- Asado. Asado is the quintessential Uruguayan food.
- Chivito. The chivito is a steak sandwich filled with a mountain of ingredients so delicious that celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain has named it his favorite sandwich.
- Torta fritas.
- Pizza and faina.
What is the most famous food in Uruguay?
Chivito. Chivito is South America’s greatest sandwich! Probably the most famous food of Uruguay, the chivito is considered to be the Uruguayan national dish. It’s not just a sandwich, it’s an amazing sandwich!
What’s the currency in Uruguay?